This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
|Chicken breast, cooked, shredded||1 8-oz breast|
|Onion, diced, medium||1 each|
|Green chili, fresh (optional)||1 each|
|Ginger, fresh, minced||1 tbsp|
|Coriander, ground||1 tsp|
|Cumin, ground||1 tsp|
|Turmeric, ground||1 tsp|
|Curry powder||1 tsp|
|Garlic, fresh, minced||1 clove|
|Tomato paste||2 tbsp|
|Red bell pepper, diced, medium||1 each|
|Celery, peeled, diced, medium||1 each|
|Carrot, peeled, diced, medium||1 each|
|Chicken stock, prepared||1 L|
|Granny Smith apple, grated||2 each|
|Black pepper, ground, fresh||½ tsp|
|Mint, fresh, chopped (optional)||¼ bunch|
6 to 8 portions
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil. Sauté the onion and chilies until golden.
- Add the vegetables and tomato paste. Cook until softened, approximately 6 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the spices and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and grated apple. Return to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh chopped mint (optional).
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, cutting board, kitchen knife, soup pot, wooden spoon