Our buttery cheese shortbread has achieved legendary status at Covenant House gatherings and they are a personal favourite of our Executive Director Bruce Rivers. With a dash of cayenne heat, our rich savoury cookie pairs perfectly with soup for a decadent alternative to crackers or cornbread.
Learn more about Cooking for Life, culinary arts training program that prepares youth for a career in the hospitality industry.
|Flour, all purpose||3 cups|
|Cayenne pepper, ground||1 tsp.|
|Butter, salted, softened||1 cup|
|MacLaren’s Imperial Sharp Cold Pack Cheddar Cheese (250 grams container)||1/3 container|
|Cheddar, aged, finely grated||2 cups|
|Milk, homogenized||1/2 cup|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 tsp.|
Method for the Dough
- Sift together the flour and cayenne pepper.
- In a food processor add the flour mixture, cheddar cheese spread and butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, approximately 8 to 10 seconds.
- Add the grated cheese to the food processor. Pulse until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Using a fork, stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.
- Chill the dough until firm. Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness.
- Using a festive cookie cutter, cut dough and transfer to a non stick cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F over for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and allow cooling before serving.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, kitchen knife, electric mixer with whip attachment, rolling pin, non-stick cookie sheet, cheese grater
* Special thanks to GTA-based food blog www.olivetoeat.com for lending a photo of a similar recipe.