Tickle your taste buds with this creamy and caliente crowd favourite that serves as a zesty side or lighter main.
This chowder is a dish prepared by youth in our Cooking for Life culinary arts training program, which prepares youth for a career in the hospitality industry.
For another autumn vegetable soup, try our Peppery Apple Squash Soup.
|Corn, niblets frozen or fresh||2 1/2 cups|
|Potato, Yukon gold peeled, cubed small||1 each|
|Cream-style corn, canned (15 ounce)||1 each|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
|Fresh Hot Thai chilli, minced||1 each|
|White cooking onion, minced||1/2 each|
|Celery, minced||1 stalk|
|Garlic, chopped||1 clove|
|Vegetable or Chicken stock, low sodium||32 fl. oz.|
|Evaporated milk, low fat||14 fluid oz.|
|Pepper, ground black||to taste|
8 to 10 portions
- In a heavy deep saucepot, heat oil over low heat.
- Add the onions to the oil and cook until just golden. Add the garlic, chilli, celery and continue to cook.
- Add the frozen corn niblets and the potato to the onions. Continue to cook over low heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the stock to the onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add the creamed corn. Puree or mash with a potato masher for a coarser texture.
- Add the evaporated milk and bring back to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve in warm soup bowls.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, large sauce pot, kitchen knife, wooden spoon, potato masher