host your own fundraiser
You can help kids at Covenant House by organizing a fundraising event at your own office or with a community group or even a group of friends. This is also an opportunity to raise awareness about youth homelessness. You can feel good knowing that you are doing something for the thousands of kids who are homeless in the city each night.
The amount you raise doesn’t need to be huge. Every donation we receive matters because when we put them all together, we are able to change the lives of thousands of kids each year.
We are fortunate to receive proceeds from all kinds of community fundraisers, such as concerts, casual days, golf tournaments, walk-a-thons, fashion shows and bake sales.
You can plan an event of any size, on whatever scale you feel comfortable managing—the options are endless! If you are planning a fundraising event for Covenant House, click here and let us know.
How we can help
We can help you make your event a success. We can offer you:
- Details about the programs at Covenant House Toronto
- Event planning advice
- Use of our logo on our promotional materials (pending approval of event)
- Digital copies of promotional materials (to be printed by event organizer)
- Help with promotion on our social media platforms (when possible and appropriate)
What we cannot do:
- Sell tickets
- Share donor information
- Guarantee staff or volunteers
- Supply prizing
- Apply for licenses or insurance
- Offer funding or reimbursement for expenses
- Permit the use of cameras or video recordings on site or of our youth
Issuing Tax Receipts
We often get inquiries about issuing tax receipts for the supporters of your event. Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulates tax receipting procedures.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Donors can receive a tax receipt for gifts of $15 or more
- In order to issue a tax receipt we require first and last name of the donor and full mailing address
- Tax receipts can be issued only to individuals and organizations that make a donation without receiving something in return. Tax receipts cannot be issued for the purchase of raffle tickets, lottery tickets, event admission, auction purchases, sponsorship or if guests at your event are provided with a meal or some form of entertainment, etc.
- Contact us at the email below if you have any questions about tax receipting
- For more information on tax receipting, please visit CRA’s Charities and Giving website.
Host a food drive
Hundreds of kids a year rely on our food bank to get them through the month. These kids are either still on the street or living independently but struggling to cover all their living expenses. It can be extremely challenging for young people to earn enough money to live in a city like Toronto and they need extra help. Many of the kids who use our food bank have children themselves and are doing whatever it takes to make sure they are cared for.
When you collect nonperishable food, you are showing kids who are trying to stand on their own that their community cares about them.
Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to pick up your items. Please contact us to arrange a drop off.
For information about hosting your own fundraiser, contact: Meghan Halverson
Special Events Coordinator
Covenant House Toronto
Learn more about how to help
related blog posts
Grade 3 students help kids at Covenant House
Grade 3 students at Toronto’s Gateway Public School chose to
help youth at Covenant House when their teacher challenged them to
support those in need. In the process they learned that just because
they’re young, it doesn’t mean they don’t have a voice.
Learn more »
| Success stories
Your support goes directly to providing safe shelter, food, counselling and opportunity for homeless kids. Donate now
A moving day
With entry-level wages and no family support, Jason worried that an independent life would be impossible.
Read more »
Follow UsGet Involved
Helping Street Kids
Give a meaningful gift of food, shelter, job training and more through the Street Kids Gift Catalogue.
Browse gifts »
Host a Fundraiser
Make a big impact on the lives of homeless kids by raising money at your own event or by hosting a food drive. Learn more »