Donor Bill of Rights
Frequently Asked Questions
Donor Bill of Rights
- All donors are entitled to receive appropriate acknowledgement and
recognition. Donor requests to remain anonymous will be respected. Covenant House will contact those donors who meet our recognition criteria and have not yet made their recognition preference known to obtain their permission to be recognized. All donors are entitled to
receive a thank you letter and an official receipt for income tax purposes for any gift of $10 or more or if requested.
- Covenant House will ensure that donor gifts are used for the purpose for which they were given.
- All fundraising solicitations by or on behalf of Covenant House will disclose our name and the purpose for which funds are requested. Printed solicitations will also include our address or other contact information.
- Donors and prospective donors are entitled to the following upon request or by visiting Covenant House’s website
- our most recent annual report (includes, mission, vision, strategic direction and budgets)
- our charitable registration number
- a list of the names of the Board of Directors
- Donors are entitled to know whether an individual soliciting funds on
behalf of Covenant House is a volunteer, an employee or a hired third party fundraising agency.
- Donors are encouraged to seek independent advice if Covenant House has any reason to believe that a proposed gift might significantly affect the donor's financial position or taxable income.
- The privacy of donors will be respected. Any donor records that are
maintained by Covenant House will be kept confidential in accordance
- Covenant House does not sell its donor lists. It will honour the donor’s or prospective donor’s request to be:
- excluded from mailings, telephone or email lists
- limited in the frequency of mailings or other forms of contact, or removed from any contact list
- excluded from exchanging their name with other reputable charities
Donors and prospective donors will be treated in a professional and
- Covenant House will respond promptly to questions or complaints by a donor about any matter in a truthful and forthright manner.
Frequently Asked Questions
About our youth
How many kids do you help? How many girls vs. boys?
- We serve almost 1,000 youth through residential programs and about 2,000 annually through non-residential programs with our comprehensive services, including education, counselling, health care, employment assistance, job training and aftercare. About 65 percent are boys while about 35 percent are girls.
Where do they come from?
- Our kids come from every social, economic and cultural background, and from every part of the country. Some also come from other countries.
How long can they stay at Covenant House?
- Often it can take some time for youth who are with us to be ready and able to move towards independence. With our support, young people can stay with us as long as they are working on their own plan to continue their education, find a job and get a place to live.
Can I have a tour of Covenant House?
- We welcome the opportunity to provide donors with a tour of our facilities so you can see first-hand the impact of your support. Please contact Erin Boudreau at 416-204-7094 or toll-free at 1-800-435-7308.
How to support us
How do I make a donation?
What is your monthly donor giving program, the Good Samaritans?
Where can I obtain information about volunteering?
- Monthly giving is a convenient and cost-effective way to care for homeless kids. When you join our Good Samaritans you help reduce our administrative costs and provide us with a steady source of income so we can help more kids. This program allows you to donate on a monthly basis. Join our Good Samaritans and help give homeless youth a better future.
About my gift
How can I customize the frequency of my mailings?
- We are happy to accommodate you by sending you information when you wish. Let us know your preferences by noting it on any reply form from our mailings or by contacting Donor Services (information below).
Do you share my name and address with other charities?
- We do exchange our donor lists with other reputable charities, but we will not include your name and address if that is your request. To let us know that you do not want us to share this information, you can note this on any of our reply forms from our mailings or by contacting our Donor Services (information below).
How long will it take to receive a tax receipt? When do I receive my annual tax receipt?
- Once we receive your donation, it takes up to 15 business days for us to issue your receipt and mail it to you. At peak times, like Christmas, it may take as long as four weeks for us to mail out your tax receipt. Donations online are receipted immediately. Donors who make multiple gifts during the year can ask for one tax receipt that is sent out by the end of January of the following year. You should receive your tax receipt by mid-February.
When will I receive my tax receipt for my monthly gifts?
- Tax receipts for monthly donations will be issued by mid-February of the following
If you have not received your tax receipt within this time period, or you have moved, or it has been misplaced, and you need a
replacement; a duplicate tax receipt can be issued by contacting our
Donor Services (information below).
How do I update my mailing address, credit card or bank account information, or any other donor information?
- You can provide us with these changes by calling or writing to our Donor Services (information below). Please do not provide credit card information by email.
Can I drop off a cash donation?
- You can bring a cash donation to our 20 Gerrard St. E., Toronto location anytime.
Why do you mail gifts such as holiday cards and calendars to donors?
- While these gifts may not be for everyone, we find that they are very popular among many donors and raise almost $3.3 million annually. If you do not wish to receive gifts in the mail, please contact our Donor Services (information below).
About in-kind donations
Do you accept donations of clothes or household items? Can I drop these off anytime?
While we are most grateful for the generous support of donors, we have limited storage space and therefore try to manage the quantity of items we receive. You can see a list of items that we need on the Donate Items page. Please contact us in advance to discuss the items you would like to donate.
(416) 598-4898 or 1-800-435-7308
20 Gerrard Street East
| Success stories
Your support goes directly to providing safe shelter, food, counselling and opportunity for homeless kids. Donate now
Follow UsContact us
Living up to his promise
Malcolm spent a grueling three months on the street, sleeping in Internet cafes and 24-hour restaurants.
Read more »