& Drugs

Resource Directory

Dealing with abuse

There are many kinds of abuse. If you or a friend are dealing with neglect, emotional, physical or sexual abuse, domestic violence, date rape, rape or other crimes, you can learn more about what to do and ways to cope below.

When someone under the age of 18 is physically, sexually or emotionally hurt or taken advantage of by a parent or someone responsible for protecting them, it is child abuse. Child abuse is against the law. Often abuse continues until somebody tells someone who can help.

If you or someone you know is being abused, tell an adult you trust right away – like a school counsellor or teacher. They are required to follow up with authorities and this is the best way for abuse to stop.

The abuser can be a respected member of the community or a person of authority. He or she may be a teacher, coach, step-parent, or a parent's boyfriend or girlfriend. Remember it doesn’t matter who they are – what they are doing is wrong and it has to stop.

Sometimes the abuse comes from a boyfriend or girlfriend, friend or classmate. This is also abuse or bullying and it is harmful and maybe illegal, so talk to someone you trust.

If you are 15 years old or under, Children’s Aid can help. They are required to protect you. Find your local Ontario Children's Aid here. If you are 16 or older, email us at help@covenanthouse.ca and one of our counsellors will reply, Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.

If you feel you are in immediate danger, call 911.

Different kinds of abuse
Am I being abused?