Make your next barbecue a true fiesta with this zesty and colourful side. This memorable homemade mélange of spicy and sweet flavours is a perfect offering for guests. Just don’t be surprised if you hear an “Olé!”
This recipe is courtesy of our culinary arts training program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
5 or 6 ears of corn (remove husk)
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
½ red onion, finely diced
Handful of cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
|4 tbsp||rice wine vinegar (or substitute cider vinegar)|
|4 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||smoked paprika|
- Grill whole corn on a very hot grill until corn gets spots of charred bits scattered all over.
- Remove from grill and place in a bowl or container. Cover tightly with saran wrap or a lid to steam the hot corn.
- While corn is resting, whisk together all your dressing ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After corn has steamed for a minimum 10 minutes (can be longer), slice off kernels by running a knife along the side of the cob.
- Mix corn kernels with the rest of the vegetables that have been cut up.
- Add dressing in stages. You may not need entire amount.
- Allow mixture to sit for a few minutes before serving.