Treat your holiday guests to this aromatic upgrade of an elegant classic. This fragrant and delicate seasonal indulgence is simple to make and guaranteed to impress. Students in our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, will be learning it this month.
|Cream, 35% (whipping)||1000 g or 1 L|
|Vanilla bean, split and scraped||1 pc|
|Brown sugar||1½ cups|
|Egg yolks||16 each|
Yield: 12 custards
- Combine cream and vanilla bean and scald.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, salt and egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Temper egg mixture with hot cream.
- Strain through a fine mesh chinois.
- Portion into cups.
- Bake in a bain-marie (pan with shallow water bath for the ramekins) at 160˚C for approx 35 mins. tightly covered with foil until just set.