Learn more about Cooking for Life, culinary arts training program that prepares youth for a career in the hospitality industry.
|Onion, Vidalia or sweet variety, diced||2 each|
|Celery peeled, diced||2 stalks|
|Beets, raw peeled and diced||2 lbs.|
|Lemon juice||15 ml|
|Red wine vinegar||1/2 T|
|Sugar, white, fine||1 tsp.|
|Ginger, fresh, minced||1 tsp.|
|Apple sauce, unsweetened||14 fl. oz.|
|Pepper, ground, black||to taste|
|Yogurt plain, thick style or sour cream||60 ml.|
4 to 6 portions
- In a heavy deep saucepot over low heat add onions, celery and beetroot. Cover with water approximately 2 litres. Add 15 ml (1 tbsp) of lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth consistency. Add the apple sauce, sugar, ginger and vinegar.
- Allow to cool in the fridge overnight.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve in chilled bowls.
- Garnish with thick yogurt or sour cream and chopped chives.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, large saucepot, kitchen knife, wooden spoon, blender or food processor.