This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
|Flour, all purpose||1 1/2 cups|
|Cocoa powder||1/2 cup|
|Baking soda||1 1/2 tsp|
|Sugar, White, fine||1/2 cups|
|Vegetable oil||3/4 cups|
|Coffee, brewed||1 1/2 cups|
|Vanilla extract||3 tsp|
|Cider vinegar||3 tbsp|
Chocolate Glaze ingredients
|Chocolate, semi-sweet||1 3/4 cups|
|Coffee, brewed, hot||1 1/2 cups|
|Vanilla extract||1 1/2 tsp|
1 pans cut into 36 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar in a bowl
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, coffee and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and work until a batter is formed. Do not over mix.
- Add the vinegar and stir quickly to form a swirl effect.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch pan and bake for 25 minutes or unit set. Allow to cool.
- To make glaze, melt chocolate in water bath. Place a wide skillet with about one inch of water on a burner. Place your chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl (stainless steel or tempered glass), and set the bowl directly in the water.
- Bring the water to a simmer, then turn off the flame and let the chocolate sit until it is melted. Stir in coffee and vanilla into melted chocolate and work until smooth.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooked cake.
- Refrigerate the glazed cake for 30 minutes prior to portioning.
Stainless steel or tempered glass bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, 9-inch pan, skillet, wooden spoon, electric mixer, spatula, whisk