A new family tradition is born! Lend some Old World decadence to your holiday gathering with this classic Christmas recipe. Cinnamon and fresh cranberries offer a festive surprise in this rich loaf that is delicious served hot as a main dessert or cool as a spicy addition to your baked goods tray. Or how about a unique offering to the man in red? Hohoho!
This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
Ingredients for Loaf
|Corn syrup||1 cup|
|Water||1 1/3 cup|
|Brown sugar||1 cup|
|Butter, unsalted||1 cup|
|Bread flour||3 cups|
|Baking soda||2 tsp|
|Ginger, ground||2 tsp|
|Cinnamon, ground||2 tsp|
|Nutmeg, ground||½ tsp|
|Cranberries, fresh whole||½ cup|
Ingredients for Topping
|Brown sugar||¼ cup|
|White granulated sugar||¼ cup|
|Butter, unsalted||120 ml|
|Flour, all purpose||1 cup|
3 standard non-stick loaf pans
Method for the loaf
- Grease and flour loaf tin.
- Combine corn syrup, water, sugar and butter in saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter is dissolved.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together – flour, baking soda, spices.
- Stir sifted ingredients into wet mixture. Mix using electric beater until well combined. Do not over mix approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Apply streusel topping.
- Bake in preheated oven 375 ° F bake for 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Method for the streusel topping
- Mix brown sugar, granulated white sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour. The mixture should be crumbly and should not stick together like dough. You may need to add extra flour to adjust consistency. Grease and flour loaf tin.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, kitchen knife, electric mixer with whip attachment, rubber spatula, heavy stainless steel sauce pot