Your dinner tonight is a hearty traditional Irish feast. With fresh herbs, smoky bacon and an array of vegetables, this main dish offers your family a savoury new staple.
This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
|Sausages, country or Italian||2 lbs.|
|Smoked bacon, diced||3 oz.|
|White cooking onion, sliced thick||1 each|
|Carrot, peeled, diced large||1 each|
|Cabbage, shredded thinly||¼ each|
|Red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch slices||1 lb.|
|Olive oil, extra virgin||¼ cup|
|Fresh garlic, chopped||1 clove|
|Green chili, chopped||1 each|
|Laurel or bay leaves, fresh||2 each|
|Sage, fresh leaves, chopped||2 tbsp.|
|Rosemary, fresh leaves chopped||1 tbsp.|
|Parsley leaves, stemmed, coarsely chopped||¼ bunch|
|Thyme, fresh leaves, chopped||1 tbsp.|
|Chicken stock||4 cups|
|Sea salt||1 tsp.|
|Black pepper, coarsely ground||1 tsp.|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sausages into halves.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and brown evenly approximately 6 minutes. Remove sausages from pan and transfer to a baking dish.
- To the skillet add onions and cabbage; continue to sauté over medium heat until tender and lightly golden.
- Add garlic, chili pepper, sage, rosemary, parsley and thyme. Add carrots and potatoes to the skillet. Continue to sauté until vegetables are just tender and lightly golden.
- Remove from heat and transfer above mixture to the baking dish. Add laurel leaves.
- Cover with chicken stock.
- Transfer baking dish to preheated oven and bake until vegetables are tender and sausages are cooked
- Arrange the sausages on a warm platter. Arrange the vegetables around sausages. Serve with the pan juices dressed over the sausages.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, cutting board, kitchen knife, roasting pan, wooden spoon, thermometer