Kids in Cooking for Life, our culinary arts job training program, enjoy making this yummy soup, learning teamwork, good nutrition and the cooking skills they need to work in the food industry.
Our easy-to-make soup is sure to tempt your taste buds and warm your soul. Delight in our tasty soup on its own or as a healthy, hearty side.
This velvety soup has lots of zip and zest, perfect to serve to friends or family. So, ladle out some comfort during these chilly, grey days.
|Butternut squash, peeled, cubed||2.5 cups|
|Granny Smith apples, peeled, cubed||4 each|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
|Fresh hot Thai chili, minced||1 each|
|White cooking onion, chopped||½ each|
|Curry powder||1 tsp|
|Fresh ginger, minced||1 tsp|
|Fresh garlic, chopped||1 clove|
|Vegetable or Chicken stock, low sodium||32 fl. oz.|
|Apple sauce, unsweetened||14 fl. oz.|
|Black pepper, ground||to taste|
8 to 10 portions
- In a heavy, deep saucepot, heat oil over low heat.
- Add the onions to oil and cook until just golden. Add the garlic, chili and continue to cook.
- Add the cubed squash and apples to the onions. Add the curry and ginger to the onion mixture. Continue to cook over low heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the stock and apple sauce to the onion vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Puree or mash with a potato masher for a coarser texture.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve in warm soup bowls.
Stainless Steel Bowls, Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cups, Large Saucepot, Kitchen Knife, Wooden Spoon, Potato Masher