Offer these tasty squares to every guest who comes to your door or down your chimney this season. Fresh, tangy cranberries, smoky almonds and whole grains mingle with chocolate and coconut for a perfect blend of naughty and nice.
This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1 cup|
|Old fashion rolled oats||¼ cup|
|Spelt or rye flakes||¼ cup|
|Coconut, shredded, unsweetened||½ cup|
|Almonds, roasted, hickory smoke, chopped||½ cup|
|Chocolate chips, dark, unsweetened||1 cup|
|Vanilla extract||½ tsp|
|Almond extract||½ tsp|
|Baking soda||1 tsp|
|Sugar, fine white||¾ cup|
|Almond or nut butter||½ cup|
|Heavy cream, scalded||½ cup|
|Fresh cranberries, whole||6 oz|
One 11 X 9-inch non-stick pan or 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a non-stick 11 X 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, spelt or rye flakes, coconut, almonds, chocolate chips, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together sugar, almond butter, cream and extracts.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add cranberries to the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and edges are browned.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, kitchen knife, electric mixer with whip attachment, rubber spatula, heavy stainless steel sauce pot