This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
Ingredients for Cabbage Slaw
|Oil olive||4 tbsp|
|Lemon juice, fresh||2 tbsp|
|Red wine vinegar||3 tbsp|
|Mustard, whole grain||1 tbsp|
|Cinnamon, ground||½ tsp|
|Sugar, white||1 tbsp|
|Pepper, freshly ground||1 tsp|
|Raisins, sultana||1 cup|
|Red cabbage, cored and shredded||1 head|
Ingredients for Tamarind Glaze
|Tamarind pulp with seeds (package)||6 oz|
|Water, boiling||½ cup|
|Sugar, brown or cane||¾ cup|
|Thai fish sauce||¼ cup|
|Fresh finger red chilies, minced||2 ea|
|Fresh garlic, minced||2 cloves|
Ingredients for Pork & Seared Pineapple
|Pork chop (double chop), 6 ounce||6 ea|
|Pineapple, fresh golden, peeled, cored sliced into 12 pieces||1 ea|
|Garlic, fresh whole||12 cloves|
|Oil olive||¼ cup|
Method for Red Slaw
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the first nine salad dressing ingredients; shake well. In a bowl, combine the cabbage, raisins and above dressing. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
Method for Tamarind Glaze
- In a medium bowl, combine the tamarind and boiling water, stirring to separate the pulp from the seeds. Strain through a fine sieve strainer, pressing the pulp to extract flavour and juice.
- Stir in the cane sugar, fish sauce, chilies and garlic.
- Return to stove and cook for 15 minutes over low heat until reduced to thick syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Method for Pork Chops and Grilled Pineapple
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the whole garlic cloves until they just turn golden, then remove them from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to medium high heat and sear the pineapple spears on both sides just until they take colour, then remove them from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to medium high heat and sear the pork chops on both sides. Reduce the heat to moderate temperature and continue cooking the pork chops until the internal temperature reaches 160-degrees Fahrenheit. Add a tbsp of water as the pork chops cook to prevent moisture loss.
- Reduce the heat to low and baste with the tamarind syrup. Add the roasted reserved garlic and pineapple to the pan. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the red slaw on six warm plates. Place a pork chop resting on the slaw. Garnish with reserved pan syrup from skillet and cooked pineapple spears.
- Serve immediately.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, cutting board, kitchen knife, whisk wire