Our chef has finally agreed to take his recipe public! You too can now enjoy the ultimate homemade burger our youth adore. Epics will be written about your next legendary BBQ with this patty as your hero!
This recipe is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
|Sirloin beef, ground coarsely||30 oz.|
|Onion, minced finely||½ onion|
|Green chili, fresh, minced finely (optional)||1 chili|
|Porcini mushroom, dried ground||2 tbsp.|
|Garlic, fresh, minced||1 clove|
|Sweet chili paste or ketchup||2 tbsp.|
|Sea salt||1 tsp.|
|Black pepper, coarsely ground||1 tsp.|
|Tomato, sliced||6 slices|
|Red onion, sliced||6 slices|
|Pickled beet||6 slices|
|Green leaf lettuce||6 leaves|
|Hamburger buns||6 buns|
- To make patties, combine ground meat, onion, chili, porcini mushroom, chili paste, and seasonings
- Form patties into six even ball, shape into a flat patties approximately 1 inch thick.
- Place on tray, cover and refrigerate.
- To cook heat a large skillet over medium heat and add just enough oil to cover the entire bottom of the skillet.
- Place patties into the skillet. Cook patties for 3 minutes on one side. Flip, and cook on the other side for 3 minutes more for medium done – internal temperature of (160 degrees Fahrenheit ) or 71 degrees Celsius.
- Toast buns.
- To assemble the burger, place one patty on 1 toasted bun bottom. Top patty with lettuce, tomato, beet and onion slice.
- Dress with your favourite relishes and condiments. Place the other half of bun on top.
Stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons, measuring cups, cutting board, kitchen knife, soup pot, wooden spoon