This bright and healthful side is brought to you by our culinary arts program, Cooking for Life, which prepares homeless youth for a career in hospitality.
For a twist, our chef instructor recommends adding your favourite summer vegetables or sundried tomatoes for a more intense flavour. You could also mix in your favourite cooked pasta for a heartier salad. Or add this salad as a garnish to a warm, grilled piece of chicken or fish.
Ingredients for Salad
|Beans, white, navy or Tuscan, canned, drained, rinsed||12 ounce (approx 1 can, 14 oz)|
|Tomatoes, Ontario vine ripened||3 each|
|Ricotta or feta cheese, drained, crumbled||6-ounce container|
|Yellow bell pepper, seeded, diced||1 each|
|Red bell pepper, seeded, diced||1 each|
|Sweet red onion, thinly sliced||1 each|
|Black olives, Sicilian, sundried, pitted||¼ cup|
|Basil, fresh, chopped||1 bunch|
|Italian parsley, flat, chopped||½ bunch|
Ingredients for Dressing
|Garlic, fresh, minced||1 clove|
|Lemon, fresh, squeezed||1 each|
|Olive oil, extra virgin||120 ml|
|Red vinegar||45 ml|
|Black pepper, coarsely ground||to taste|
4 to 6 portions
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- Marinate peppers, onion, and tomatoes in the dressing.
- Add the beans, olives, parsley and basil to the marinated vegetables.
- Garnish with the crumbled ricotta or feta cheese.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Plate on a bed of lettuce.